Alright, so last week I made some Pad Thai. I figured it was time for me to make it again as it had been a long time since I had last made it and Salem and I needed a break from the normal chicken/fish/beef routine. The original recipe is from the Steven and Chris website. Please note though that I did make my own little changes (as always).
Yummy yummy pad thai!
Pad Thai
Ingredients:
1/2 lb Firm tofu, drained
1/2 lb Shrimp, raw, de-veined (any size you like) **I had very large shrimp so I cut them into smaller pieces** 2 Eggs, extra-large, lightly beaten **I subbed one egg for 45ml egg whites**
3-4 cups Bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
2 Sweet peppers, chopped in a fine julienne
6 tbsp Safflower or corn oil **I eyeball it and try to get away with using less**
2 tbsp each, minced Garlic and minced Ginger
Sauce (mix together)
1/3 cup Tomato Ketchup
1/4 cup Asian Fish Sauce
1 1/2 tbsp Splenda
3 tbsp Water
1/2 lb Thai- or Chinese-style rice stick noodles (about linguine width) - softened in hot tap water for 15 - 20 minutes and drained
Garnish
3 tbsp Scallion greens, chopped on a bias
1/2 tsp Crushed red chillies
2 1/2 tbsp Cilantro, roughly chopped
4tbsp Peanuts, dry roasted & chopped
2 Limes, cut into six wedges
Hot sauce!!!
Now make it!!!
Wrap tofu in paper towels, place between two plates and weigh down with something heavy like a cast-iron skillet (or a big can of tomatoes). Let drain 20 minutes, unwrap and cut into a 1/4" dice. ** if you have the time, you can also take a bit of the sauce and marinate the tofu in it**
Heat wok or heavy skillet over a medium-low heat, as you assemble and organize your ingredients. Add 2 tbsp oil and turn heat to high. Once the wok is hot but not smoking, add tofu. Stir-fry about 3 minutes until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Pour oil very carefully out of the pan and wipe it clean. Add 2 tbsp oil and cook the shrimp in the same manner, removing as soon as it has turned coral in colour **overcooking shrimp makes it rubbery**. Carefully pour out oil and clean pan before proceeding.
Re-heat the pan, add the last 2 tbsp oil and heat until hot. Add eggs, stirring to scramble over a medium-high heat. Add peppers, garlic and ginger and stir fry until fragrant -- about 10 seconds. Add the pre-mixed sauce and drained rice noodles. Toss over a medium-high heat, cooking about 3 - 4 minutes until noodles are tender and mixture is dry.
Add the bean sprouts, shrimp and tofu, and toss to mix. Serve on pre-warmed plates or bowl and let your lucky recipients customize their Pad Thai with favorite garnishes.
No comments:
Post a Comment